1) Robot fight scenes are the hardest things to draw ever.
Over the past five years of working fulltime in comics, I’ve drawn a wide variety of things. Summer camps, creepy alien birds, graveyards, ships, ghosts, schools, ponies …. but nothing is as difficult to draw as two killer robots fighting to the death. Robots are hard enough to draw when they’re standing still, but drawing them flying through the air to do battle? I may have broken down weeping over my drawing desk a few times.
2) It’s important to escape the drawing desk every now and then.
I really love my job of making comics. I probably love it a little too much, because when I’m away from my drawing desk and not making comics, I’m mostly thinking about all the comics I’m going to make when I get back to the studio. This is kind of terrible and unhealthy! I got serious about running while drawing Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong, and can now jog 8 kilometers at a pretty good clip. I’d like to jog 10 kilometers at some point this summer. I hate jogging in the winter (I live in the often freezing cold Canadian city of Halifax), but in the summer it’s wonderful to get outside and spend some time with things that aren’t comics. Like the sun, and grass, and the ocean and even other people! Then I can go back to making comics.
3) I need to do better with diversity in my comics.
I was on a panel at a recent comic festival about diversity in comic books, which is a huge issue. Comics struggle a lot with representing different people, different ethnicities, different sexualities, and it’s something I want to do better. One thing that was brought up at the panel was the idea that diversity shouldn’t mean just making sure that “your group” is represented, it should be that all people are represented. I thought that was really important and useful. I’ve been very focused on women in comics (we are pretty underrepresented), and I feel I’ve been successful in making lots of comics with women and girls in them, and encouraging my fellow Lady Cartoonists. Now I need to look beyond that, and do a better job of representing the diversity of the world around me.
4) Collaborating is great fun.
Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong is the first adaptation I’ve done of someone else’s story. It was really fun to dive into a fully formed story where I didn’t have to do too much reshaping, and just start drawing. Prudence did most of the heavy lifting for me already! All I had to do was beat her story into graphic novel shape.
5) I am a sucker for a cute boy and a geeky girl.
So, spoilers, but two characters in Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong get together in the end. That was not in Prudence’s original story, but I snuck it in at the end because I am a geeky girl, and I like seeing the geeky girl get the cute boy. Also I may secretly want Prudence to write a Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong fanfiction (can you do fanfic of your own book?) about Nate and Holly dating. Because that would be hilarious.
Find out more about the graphic novel at the official website for Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong.
- libraryphantomg5 reblogged this from diversityinya
- libraryphantomg5 likes this
- she-seeing reblogged this from diversityinya
- shouldvebeenflossie reblogged this from diversityinya
- cksaul reblogged this from faitherinhicks
- shouldvebeenflossie likes this
- drgonzorw likes this
- noodlezen likes this
- savotoart likes this
- andrewalesdm1 likes this
- e-kami reblogged this from faitherinhicks
- kanamarkesa reblogged this from diversityinya
- kanamarkesa likes this
- mongooseland reblogged this from arythusa
- tiny-buddha likes this
- imaginarygirafarig likes this
- olplya reblogged this from diversityinya and added:
- sosweetmsv reblogged this from gccladiesnight
- sosweetmsv likes this
- gccladiesnight reblogged this from faitherinhicks
- mise-n-scene likes this
- thewombatslair reblogged this from diversityinya
- fieryforge likes this
- bowtothebard likes this
- bluestormgeo reblogged this from themarionettequintet
- moonlite-suspenders likes this
- spacehelmetforacow likes this
- nightwin9 likes this
- the-nomadic-writer likes this
- vertigosight likes this
- fakehouseresident likes this
- asatira reblogged this from faitherinhicks
- mildmoderngirl reblogged this from faitherinhicks
- zeruss likes this
- flamingkatz likes this
- women-in-blue likes this
- vain-villain likes this
- long-hairedhotmen reblogged this from arythusa
- long-hairedhotmen likes this
- original-blue likes this
- maybesca likes this
- bleupencil reblogged this from giancarlovolpe
- cybersoulforger likes this
- molliehaswords likes this
- tenshisakura likes this
- oreobytes reblogged this from ladyloveandjustice
- oreobytes likes this
- the-last-recall likes this
- dansome0203 likes this